THE WORKSHOP |
Northern New Mexico is sand and sage, plains and mesas, flame colored cliffs — surrounded by sky and clouds that herald the change of time and weather. Our land of stunning landscapes and incomparable light have inspired so many artists such as Georgia O'Keeffe, Ansel Adams, and many others throughout the centuries. You too can capture the magical grandeur of our enchanted land. New Mexico is a place that will not only leave you breathless, but also most certainly will inspire a whole new energy and passion within you while taking your photography to the next level.
THE PLAN |
The sun will rise over adobe churches and we will be there to witness and photograph. At sunset, cliffs will turn gold and crimson, and our cameras will focus on this miraculous change and beauty. This workshop is both a celebration and a challenge – to see the magic and beauty of the Land of Enchantment and to make your own images, from adobe details, wide-open landscapes and magnificent skies. Wandering over the rocky hillsides, we’ll have the chance to see a unique and insider’s view of New Mexico.
The intrepid photographer will be rewarded with indelible images of dream-like scenes and lost eras when a different aesthetic prevailed. Craig will provide hands-on one-on-one guidance in the field as needed.
During the workshop, we will be out photographing in both morning and evening light. As we have time and upon request, we can be look at images on your laptop computer to provide feedback and further your progress.
You will also experience for yourself the land that influenced major artists' ways of seeing, thinking, and creating, such as Georgia O'Keeffe, Elliot Porter, Laura Gilpin, and Peter Hurd. You'll discover the uniqueness of Northern New Mexico — the high desert land and light, the different cultures, mountain and mission — that has drawn people here for centuries.
SKILL LEVEL |
This workshop is a terrific for all digital photographers who are familiar with their cameras. You should be able to download, edit and manage images on your laptop computer. You need to be able to carry your own camera gear and tripod and be capable of walking and light hiking on sand, rocks and somewhat varied terrain. You will need to know, before you get here, how to set and use auto bracketing on your camera, if your camera has this feature.
HOW TO PREPARE |
1. Bring your laptop computer loaded with your favorite image editing software to work on your images. We do not provide computers or monitors. Bring removable media like a hard drive to back up your images.
2. Bring your digital camera with lenses, a tripod and polarizing filter. We recommend a camera backpack which works well for field workshops
3. During the workshop, we will be out photographing in both morning and evening light at inspiring locations. As we have time and upon request, during mid-day hours we can be look at images on your laptop computer to provide feedback and further your progress.
4. Bring something to take notes with. For some a computer keyboard works well. Others use pen and paper and/or audio recorders.
5. Write down a a one-sentence statement about what you would like to accomplish during the workshop.
6. Expect to meet interesting photographers, who share similar passions and interests, who will see things from new and different perspectives.
7. Come with an open mind. This is probably the MOST important thing to bring to any workshop.
8. It is our wish that this workshop will exceed your expectations and that you will leave us feeling more focused, confident and inspired.
We highly recommend you purchase travel/trip insurance just in case. There are several companies and credit card companies that provide this service. We recommend Roam Right for trip insurance.
”After recently returning from Eloquent Light's Santa Fe Land & Light Photography Workshop taught by Craig Varjabedian, I feel compelled to share some of the highlights of my experience. I was one of nine participants in a workshop which focused on landscape photography in a new and fascinating location for me. Although there were challenging weather conditions, (several consecutive days of rain, snow, wind, and cold), we received considerable on-on-one instruction in this environment of rapidly changing natural light which dramatically impacted our landscape photographs.
I found Craig's instruction to be tailored to complement our personal styles as we learned new field techniques and imaginative perspectives to enhance the entire photographic experience. Perhaps most importantly, I found his critiques of our photographs to be enlightening, constructive and actionable which I believe contributed to the execution of more refined and evocative photographs. I wholeheartedly recommend Craig's workshop as a means to gain a greater understanding of photography as a complete artistic process."
―Jeannie Camosy, MN
ANY QUESTIONS? |
Have any questions, suggestions or concerns? Feel free to contact us any time—we will be more than happy to help! Call Workshop Manager and Director of Karmic Activity Cindy at (505) 983-2934 or email
Craig Varjabedian, the founder and main instructor at Eloquent Light, is an award-winning photographer who explores the back roads of the American West, making profound pictures of the land and the people who live on it, telling stories. . . one photograph at a time. A gifted teacher, Craig has taught photography to people from around the world for over thirty years.
PAY WITH PAYPAL: